Research Assistant/Associate – Willow Springs Strategic Solutions
Willow Springs Strategic Solutions is seeking a candidate to fill a challenging position within a growing social science research company. The Researcher will work closely with the owners on a number of Indigenous research and history projects, and will be expected to manage their own projects with support from the owners. This position is a 1-year term position with the possibility of extension for the right candidate.
- Working closely with Indigenous communities to plan and conduct community-based research projects;
- Traditional Land-Use Mapping using audio/video recorders, Google Earth, or paper maps;
- Geographic Information System database management;
- Historical, socio-economic, and socio-cultural research;
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis and impact assessment;
- Report Writing;
- Training and capacity building;
- Client relations and development;
- Regular travel to rural and remote Indigenous communities;
- Other duties as required
Education and Experience
• Research and/or work experience with Indigenous communities.
• An advanced degree (PhD preferred but not required) in Indigenous Studies, History, Cultural Anthropology, Geography, or related Humanities or Social Science discipline, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A valid driver’s licence.
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies
- Ability to work with Indigenous communities and build relationships within a diverse community context.
- Knowledge of Indigenous rights and legal contexts;
- Knowledge of regulatory framework in relation to Indigenous consultation;
- Knowledge of Métis history and culture;
- A willingness to live in Calgary and commute to communities in Northeastern Alberta on a monthly basis. Travel to other destinations, including British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba may be required from time to time;
- MS Office Suite environment, especially MS Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Excel.
- Experience working with Google Earth and ARC GIS.
- Experience working with qualitative and quantitative research; experience with NVIVO, SPSS, Microsoft Database, InDesign, and DreamWeaver is considered an asset;
- Strong time management skills and ability to work independently;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The ideal candidate will have an eye for detail.
- Must have a sense of humour!
Salary will be competitive and based on experience and qualifications at either the Research Assistant or Associate level.
Deadline for applications is August 17, 2020. Initial interviews are expected to take place in early September with a start date shortly thereafter.
Please submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae, one sole-author writing sample, and three professional references by email to email@example.com.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.